What comes to your mind first if you are thinking of getting a website is the name that your website will be identified with. And that’s why a domain name comes in. By and large, with over 1.1 billion websites, there are over 200 million active websites with their corresponding domain names on the world wide web. This implies that a website cannot exist without a domain name. In this article, we will explain what a domain name is and which domain extension is right for your business or organization.
A web address is the meaningful combination of the default protocols plus your domain name. For example, https://www.facebook.com, https://www.instagram.com or https://www.facebook.com/username or https://instagram.com/username.
For instance, https://www.facebook.com is a website address.
- https:// is the standard protocol through which your browser communicates with the server.
- www. is mostly the means of identifying with your website.
- facebook is the domain name.
- .com is the domain extension
Below are examples of domain extensions.
- .com: used for commercial purposes
- .net: for internet /network purposes
- .org: for organizations
- .gov: for government websites.
- .edu: for education.
Country-code or country-specific domain is a two-letter domain extension that represents a specific country, a territory or geographic location. When country code domains extensions were first created in 1985, they were intended for registration and use by that country’s residents, but some countries now let outside parties register domain names using their country code.
Here are some examples of country code domain extensions and their corresponding geographical locations
- .us : Unites States
- .fr: France
- .ca: Canada
- .eu: European Union
- .za: South Africa
- .ru: Russia
- .au: Australia
- .uk: United Kingdom, etc.
- Make your domain name the title of your business
- It has to be simple and short
- It has to be easy to remember
- Avoid using numbers and symbols
- Pick a domain extension that aligns with your business
- Ensure your domain is different from other brands to avoid confusion
In conclusion, there are many other domain extension that you can choose from but it should be a standard practice that the domain name and extension you are choosing align with the nature of your business or what you intend to use your website for. If you are thinking of getting your own website, be it for your business, organization, entertainment, ecommerce etc. Kindly contact us and lets us handle it professionally for you while you focus on other things.